Hi there,

I have a few map-related questions I came across whilst gathering field data.

(1) After setting a new sample point, I wanted to confirm the coordinates that were found by the arena mobile app. Can I use any other map than google maps for visualising the location of my sample points? The reason being that google maps does not provide detailed information outside urban areas. Openstreetmap for instance would be very useful here, ideally as an offline map, also to navigate through the field.

(2) As I am often conducting fieldwork in mountainous terrains, I am sometimes confronted with poor satellite coverage, which may lead to poor localisation. Given a wrong localisation, can I manually move a sample point on a map to the correct spot? I found the option of changing the coordinates, which only helps, if one knows the (usually unknown) coordinates.

(3) I found a map in the Open Foris plattform showing the location of the sample points I visited in the forest. Can I likewise see a map in the arena mobile app, too? This would facilitate the cooperative fieldwork in our team a lot as this way I can see the sample points my colleagues or me have already visited and vice versa.

I’m sorry, if these questions have already been posted.

Thanks heaps in advance for your help.

asked 17 hours ago

NLP's gravatar image

NLP
11●1
accept rate: 0%

edited 17 hours ago


Dear user,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your mapping needs. These insights are extremely helpful and align closely with our goals for improving field workflows.
Here is our implementation plan:

  1. Alternative maps for point visualization (including offline use): We have already started working on offline maps; users will be able to pre-fetch specific areas to be used directly in the map view. Additionally, you will have alternative map layers to improve navigation outside urban areas, with the option to view collected locations inside Arena Mobile or open them in an external app of your choice.
  2. Manual adjustment of sample points: We are adding a map-based correction feature so users can precisely adjust point locations when GPS signals are unreliable.
  3. Map of visited sample points: We will introduce an in-app map to display visited sample points, supporting better team coordination and visibility during fieldwork.

Timeline:

  • Features 1 and 2 will be in place by the end of next week.
  • Feature 3 requires more time and is planned by the end of October.

Many thanks,
The Open Foris Arena team

permanent link

answered 12 hours ago

Stefano%20%28OF%29's gravatar image

Stefano (OF) ♦♦
5.5k●1●1●9
accept rate: 18%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×84

question asked: 17 hours ago

question was seen: 38 times

last updated: 12 hours ago